Susan J. Patschak is an insurance executive with 25 years of experience in the industry. She currently holds the position of Chief Executive Officer of the two Canopius Bermuda (Canopius) operations: Canopius Bermuda Limited and Canopius Underwriting Bermuda Limited. She has held these positions since October 2007. Ms. Patschak was instrumental in the start-up of the Bermuda operation working on the development of the companies since March 2007.
Prior to joining Canopius, Ms. Patschak was with Endurance Specialty Insurance, Ltd. (Endurance) in Hamilton, Bermuda where she was an Executive Vice President and the Chief Operating Officer of the Bermuda operation. In addition, she served on both Endurance Holding’s Executive Team and Loss Reserve Committee which oversees the liability levels for the entire group. She is a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries.
Prior to joining Endurance, Susan was the Global Chief Actuary for the ACE Group of Companies in Hamilton, Bermuda. She held this position from July 2002 until June 2004. In this role, Ms. Patschak was responsible for leading, coordinating and consolidating all actuarial functions in the company encompassing the efforts of over 100 actuaries employed world-wide throughout the organization. Foremost among those functions was the quarterly evaluation of the overall loss reserve position of ACE.
Prior to joining ACE, Ms. Patschak worked for over 17 years with Tillinghast – Towers Perrin (“Tillinghast”). During this time, she held a number of senior management positions including Property/Casualty sector leader for North America and Managing Director of Latin America and Asia/Pacific. She also served as the liaison between Tillinghast and Towers Perrin Reinsurance promoting joint marketing of services for these two divisions of Towers Perrin. She also had administrative responsibility for a staff of 250 employees.
- Canopius Bermuda Limited/Canopius Underwriting Bermuda Limited – October 2007 to Present; CEO
- Endurance Specialty Insurance, Ltd. – September 2004 to March 2007; EVP & COO
- ACE Group of Companies – July 2002 to June 2004; EVP and Global Chief Actuary
- Tillinghast – Towers Perrin – January 1985 to June 2002; Principal and Consulting Actuary
- Wyatt Company, Washington, D.C. – June 1983 to December 1984; Actuarial Assistant
Education and Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science in mathematics from the University of Maryland 1982
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries 1989
- Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society 1992
- Board member of Leadership Foundations 2004 to present
- Board member of Mount Saint Agnes Academy, Hamilton, Bermuda 2009 to present